Christmas was a fun-filled, mad-rush to the finish line for us and then we spent the following week frantically finishing up our front yard and installing wood floors in my son’s room. After that, we were thankful to zone out last week in Lake Tahoe. It was a nice recharge for me. Away from the sight of our house projects/still not put away Christmas decorations with plenty of time to think and read and reassess and plan and make lists in my head – my favorite! And to decompress from the holiday crazies. And the year in general crazies.
Last year was a very positive year for our house despite being so heavy in other areas (looking at you, alternate universe “current events”). I pretty much always feel like I’m not getting as much done on the house as I want so, looking back, I’m SHOCKED at all that we knocked out in 2017. Of course, it was only like half of what we set out to accomplish, but many unexpected and impactful projects were taken on as well. I feel like we finally turned a corner where it is more “home” than “excuse my construction pile mess.” It’s a great place to be! Some highlights:
2017 HOUSE HIGHS
- A functioning, pulled together family room!
- Our patio got pretty!
- Hardwood flooring/baseboard progress all through the house (the tiniest bit of progress shown here)!
- Life has gotten so much better with this new mattress!
- This room and this wallpaper are proof I’m living my best life!
- Minimalism crept into my heart and made a home in 2017 and I am loving it!
- My son has a room of his own and it’s not super dumpy looking! (And it looks even better with last week’s new floors…I’ll share soon!)
- The fireplace upgrade in the backyard!
- Our master bedroom got some updates and finishing touches, including this fan and this screen door!
- THIS DINING ROOM TABLE!!!
- I have always wanted to build this exterior screen (which has since been painted white and is awaiting it’s twin in 2018)!
- Dream chair acquisition!
- A light install in our blue bathroom (still need to wrap up some loose ends in here and properly photograph)!
- Not officially a house project, but I really liked our Halloween and Christmas (also here and here) decorations this year!
- FRONT YARD FINISHED! A huge relief! I’ve yet to share the end result because I literally finished it 7 days ago!
I started reading Elizabeth Gilbert’s Big Magic last week and it was SO inspiring! A great read anytime, but especially after the months of end-of-year craziness when you are so ready to get back to “normalcy,” and trying to figure out what kind of “normalcy” you want your life to have. I love her idea that we are all creative people and that we all have something to contribute, no matter how important or not, how life changing or not, how grand or not, how original or not, and whether anyone will ever see your creation or not. It’s about the process of making instead of taking and saying yes to the things that light you up, without guilt or excuses. Fixing up houses definitely lights me up, and I’m so excited to (try to) tackle these projects in our home in the coming year:
2018 HOUSE GOALS
- PAINT THE DANG EXTERIOR. A house goal list fav that NEVER EVER gets done, 3 years and counting, but is on the calendar as our big summer DIY project.
- Build a second screen for the front yard.
- Reach ninety percent completion of our flooring and baseboards why are we still working on this nearing year 5????
- Hang the grasscloth wallpaper that I bought last summer in the master bedroom.
- Finish our very unfinished step down to our sunken family room
- Build that wood divider I’ve been dreaming of between the dining room and family room
- Do a low-key master bath fix up to hold us over for a few years (basically this plan, still unexecuted)
- MINIMALISM TO THE MAX. Well, as max as a house loving, furniture hoarder can be. I want to be surrounded with an better edited collection of possessions.
I’m very excited to make time for a few other just-for-fun creative projects this year as well, but I mostly want to give the biggest thank you to whoever you are reading this! I have so much fun putting this blog together and sharing our weird house projects and connecting with all of you. Thank you for your ideas and your encouragement and for coming back every week to check in. I am so thankful for you all and I wish you and your homes all the best in 2018!!!!