I finally had the urge/courage to nail into the dining room grasscloth. After a few enjoyable months of seeing just the wallpaper, it was time. I was unreasonably nervous about nail holes in the wallpaper and even researched gallery style ceiling hooks. But I talked myself down from that ridiculousness with stuff like, “It’s only wallpaper and heavily textured at that.” Or, “The worst that can happen is I mess up and have visible holes.” And that’s kind of how it went. I got out the hammer, measured extremely carefully and…I think I biffed it!
I wrongly assumed that I would just want this crazy abstract painting in there again. It made the room in its previous state. I had concerns about the large surface area of it with the inevitable fading of the grasscloth, but decided that I liked it enough to deal with the consequence. But when I actually hung it on the wall and it didn’t love it there like it used to. It’s funny how such a small change can largely impact the feel of a room. And, by the way, I decided to hang it centered to the wallpaper panels instead of perfectly centered on the wall.
There is now an irrevocable nail hole in a useless spot since nothing else I would hang here is as huge as that painting. Thankfully, it’s not that noticeable at all with all this paper has going on and, of course, it could be worse.
I’ve tried nearly every hanging object in my house on this wall and I’ve narrowed it down to this Curtis Jere sculpture or the wood starburst clock. Both winners. The sculpture is so beautiful and subtle, and the clock a bit more interesting. Grasscloth should be expected to mellow/fade, much like wood floors, so I really like how neither of these will leave huge marks as that happens. Fun decisions for me…
Either way, I’m loving how earthy and textured and warm it all looks. A big difference from the contrast and sheen from the old wallpaper. I have a lot of white walls to share so I’ll be back next time with that! Thanks for reading!!!
I’m in the middle of removing wallpaper in the family room and it is literally coming off in tiny little pieces and driving me insane. (On the flip side, grasscloth came today!!!! It’s the circle of life.) Anyways, I needed a break so I worked on this weird little project instead. The problem was that our 1961 house had futuristic intercoms installed throughout it at one point in time. The only remaining one is at the front door, right here: When we got the house there was also a non-functioning unit in the guest bedroom, plus an empty cavity from another in the master. We patched up the bedroom holes before we moved in but didn’t discover another hole out on the patio until a few months after, hidden behind a flowery-so-not-my-style thermometer the previous owners had left.Obviously we need to patch the stucco at some point, but today is not that day. The goal was to cover this up with something interesting. Surprisingly, I had the hardest time finding anything that worked. Do you know that vintage starburst thermometers are pricey and hard to come by? So, that was out. I bought a mirror, it was way too big. I bought a mosaic, it was way too small. I tried a few pieces I had floating around the house, but all were too airy and showed the thing I was trying to hide. Round 5 brought me to this faux driftwood starburst at Homegoods for $20. I thought about just making one myself, because this is sloppily thrown together, but I was feeling lazy and it was cheap. I think it’s actually made of crappy fence posts and it’s way more beachy/shabby-chic than I’d normally go. But the proportion seemed right and I liked the natural wood element, so I bought it. And it was just right. Except the hole still showed! I tried to add a mirror, but it was too boring and not at all fun. BUT, I was loving the semi-circle thing that was serendipitously going on up there, so I came with this painting instead on a scrap piece of masonite. I made a teardrop shaped stencil from cardboard and eyeballed their placement. (Next time, I will bust out the protractor.) I used orange, no duh. After the fact, I decided I liked the orange side solid instead of patterned, so those tears got painted over.
So, there you have it. Hole is covered. I’m planning on sharing the sad state of our patio soon, tool piles and all, so until that sad day, happy trails!